TOKYO-- United States President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe affirmed a tough response to North Korea's recent launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile during their phone conversation on Monday.

Earlier in the morning, the two leaders reportedly shared their conclusion that the two countries should cooperate with South Korea and the international community for strengthened sanctions and pressure in order to prevent North Korea's further provocations.

They also reportedly agreed to jointly urge China to join the world's efforts against North Korean nuclear and missile development, sharing the view that China has key leverage in containing North Korea's provocations.

Shortly before the midnight last Friday, North Korea launched a Hwasong-14 ballistic missile, which could fly as far as the mainland U.S. The latest test launch demonstrated progress from the North's first successful Hwasong-14 launch on July 4.

In the conversation, "the two leaders agreed that North Korea poses a grave and growing direct threat to the U.S., Japan, the Republic of Korea, and other countries near and far," the White House later said in a press release.

"President Trump reaffirmed our ironclad commitment to defend Japan and the Republic of Korea from any attack, using the full range of U.S. capabilities," it said.

The two leaders committed to "increasing economic and diplomatic pressure on North Korea, and to convincing other countries to follow suit," according to the release.

Source: Yonhap News Agency