WASHINGTON-- The United States warned North Korea Sunday of a "massive" military response should the communist nation threaten it or its allies, a strong rebuke following Pyongyang's sixth and most powerful nuclear test to date.

U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis made the statement after meeting with President Donald Trump and the national security team.

"We have many military options and the president wanted to be briefed on each one of them," he told reporters outside the White House, with the chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Joe Dunford, at his side.

"We made clear that we have the ability to defend ourselves and our allies, South Korea and Japan, from any attack, and our commitments among the allies are ironclad," he said.

"Any threat to the United States or its territory, including Guam, or our allies will be met with a massive military response, a response both effective and overwhelming."

Mattis noted, however, that the U.S. does not seek North Korea's annihilation.

Earlier in the day, Pyongyang claimed to have successfully tested an H-bomb that can fit inside an intercontinental ballistic missile.

Source: Yonhap News Agency