SEOUL, Oct. 1 (Yonhap) — Inter-Korean agreements would automatically be nullified if North Korea undertakes provocations in violation of such agreements, Prime Minister Lee Nak-yon said Monday.
Lee made the remark during a parliamentary interpellation session after an opposition lawmaker said it wouldn’t be late for the South to ratify April’s inter-Korean summit agreement after watching how negotiations between the United States and the North go.
The opposition lawmaker, Rep. Ahn Sang-soo of the main opposition Liberty Korea Party, also claimed that if a formal declaration is made to end the Korean War, it would be difficult for the U.S. to fight alongside the South even in case of a North Korean invasion.
“Should there be a provocation (by the North), the previous agreements will naturally be nullified,” Lee said. Lee added, however, that he looks forward to good results from negotiations between the U.S. and the North because their leaders have expressed trust in each other.
Lee also rejected the lawmaker’s claims that the latest summit agreement with the North, reached during President Moon Jae-in’s visit to Pyongyang last month, would amount to giving up on national defense because the deal calls for reducing armaments along the border.
“Arms reduction is something reciprocal. This can’t be done unilaterally,” Lee said. “I can’t understand why the agreement not to conduct firing drills and maneuvers would mean giving up on national defense.”
Source: Yonhap News Agency