SEOUL, South Korea's Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha on Tuesday dismissed growing concerns about a possible delay in the much-publicized summit between the leaders of the United States and North Korea.
In an interview with local broadcaster KBS, Kang said it is "diplomatically unthinkable" to push back the schedule of the unprecedented talks between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, given their "strong" will.
As the two sides have yet to officially announce the exact venue and date of their summit, speculation has risen that they might have difficulty coordinating details, including sensitive agenda items.
"From a broad perspective, I think it would not be a big problem that the summit (schedule) is announced one or two days late," the minister said. "This meeting is one that carries the will of President Trump and State Affairs Commission Chairman Kim Jong-un."
The Trump-Kim summit is expected to occur later this month or in June, while a set of sites, such as Singapore and the inter-Korean border village of Panmunjom, have been mentioned as its possible venue.
Kang touted Panmunjom as an "already prepared" site, but said a decision on the venue is for Washington and Pyongyang to make.
Addressing a question of to what extent China should participate in the envisioned declaration of a formal end to the 1950-53 Korean War, the minister said there needs to be further discussions on the issue.
"The declaration is a political one to declare that the Korean War over ... We need consultations over what would be the combination (of countries for the declaration) that befits the thrust and goal (of the declaration)," she said.
Following the inter-Korean summit last month, South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim agreed to pursue the declaration of an end to the war, which was halted only with a truce, this year and seek a peace treaty to replace the armistice.
Source: Yonhap News Agency