SEOUL, Aug. 14 (Yonhap) -- North Korea and the United States held their latest working-level talks at the truce village of Panmunjom over the weekend, a diplomatic source said Tuesday, amid news reports that U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will visit the North again.
U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un held an unprecedented summit in June, during which they pledged to work to end the North's nuclear weapons program. However, detailed agreements to meet the pledge have not been made so far.
North Korea's further steps for denuclarization and the issue of formally ending the 1950-53 Korean War were believed to be the agenda of the latest working-level talks between North Korea and the U.S., the source said on the condition of anonymity.
North Korea and the U.S. discussed "specific" measures, the source said, declining to elaborate further.
Additional working-level talks between North Korea and the U.S. are likely to be held at Panmunjom this week, according to the source.
Seoul and Pyongyang agreed to hold another summit in Pyongyang sometime in September during their high-level talks at Panmunjom on Monday.
The planned September summit comes amid growing speculation over a perceived impasse in denuclearization negotiations.
Washington wants Pyongyang to take tangible steps towards denuclearization, such as a declaration of its nuclear and missile programs. But Pyongyang is calling for the political declaration of a formal end to the 1950-53 Korean War, apparently to help ensure the security of its regime.
Observers said Seoul has been pushing for an early Pyongyang summit to break the impasse and keep the North on course toward denuclearization.
Source: Yonhap News Agency