WASHINGTON, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Friday that he is hopeful nuclear negotiations with North Korea will continue, after Pyongyang reportedly said it may quit talks.
The sides came away empty handed from a second summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Vietnam last month.
"We are hopeful that we can continue to hold this conversation," Pompeo told reporters.
He added that the United States has "every expectation" the North Korean leader will honor his commitment to Trump to continue refraining from nuclear and missile tests.
The summit ended without an agreement due to differences over the scope of North Korea's denuclearization and sanction relief from the U.S.
In Pyongyang on Friday, North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son-hui said her regime had no interest in engaging in "negotiations of this kind" and rejected U.S. demands at the summit, according to Russia's TASS news agency.
She added that Kim will decide soon whether to continue talks and keep the moratorium on tests.
Source: Yonhap news Agency